Getting married in Belize is definitely one of the most romantic elopement experiences that we have seen thus far. Belize is the perfect destination for couples who seek a bit of adventure! From caving and scuba diving to birding, fishing and even archaeology, this beautiful country has it all. It really is one of the best spots to say, “I do”!
From inception, Dwight knew that he was going to marry Jill in Belize, as it is one of her favourite destinations in the world. With a bit of creativity and an incredible wedding planner, Dwight surprised the love of his life with a wedding dress, a gorgeous bouquet, videography, photography, a mariachi band and how could we forget…tying the knot on a sandbar Off the Coast of Ambergris Caye! *swoon*
Dive right into our feature of the week from Haydee Lu Studio, and get a bit of inspiration on how to plan your very own elopement in Belize!
FROM THE COUPLE:
HOW THEY MET
We met at work, cliche for sure, but it started as a friendship. Just friends for over a year and a half, and we got to know each other at our best and worst. I fell in love with Jill as a person, first, and the fact that she loved me, in spite of knowing all about me, like friends do, was amazing.
So, Jill and I made an agreement, early in our relationship, that we would have annual 3 yr reviews, meetings if you will, where we can decide if this was something we wanted to continue or get out of, like a cell phone contract. Really! We agreed that people should be happy and honest with each other, so we would give ourselves a chance to “renew” or start “anew”. We agreed to make “presentations”, outlining what we loved about each other and what we would like to see improved. Dwight made a slideshow, short film really, with pictures and videos, edited with a few of our favorite songs, and at the end, the last picture was, “Will you marry me?”, and Dwight had a custom made emerald ring with him, as he sat next to me and asked me to marry him.
We always said we didn’t want to have a big wedding, since this was our second time around. Didn’t want the hassle. The agreement was that we would just wake up one day, and decide we would get married. Belize has always been Jill’s favorite place. Dwight had an epiphany one day that a surprise marriage in Belize would be perfect. Dwight’s initial plan was to just arrange to have a photographer, flowers, priest/preacher, show up at the beach while he was there with Jill. Then the logistics became clear, it was going to be impossible to plan all those pieces from afar. Dwight first met the photographer, Haydee Lu, then she introduced him to Melody of Dulce Belize Weddings, planner extraordinaire!
THE WEDDING DRESS
Jill didn’t know she was getting married, so she had two dress options and a seamstress! Dwight had gotten dress ideas off of Jill’s pinterest without her knowing, guessed her sizes, and snuck both dresses with him in his carry-on bags. Then Jill could decide which dress she liked most and the seamstress was able to make last minute alterations.
Dwight getting dressed in a custom suit, while on a small boat, with another small boat next to him, while waiting for Jill at the surprise Sandbar location! Jill sitting on the porch, with an entourage of a seamstress, wedding planner, videographer, photographer, bouquet of flowers and the simple question… “How do you feel about getting married today??”
The entire wedding!
- The entourage coming up to Jill and asking her did she want to get married today. That look on her face was priceless.
- Everything that Jill needed for the wedding was purchased and brought in by Dwight (wedding dress (2 of them), shoes, jewellery, even underwear)
- Jill had to get on a boat, without knowing where she was going to get married. She didn’t know she was getting married on a sandbar.
- After the surprise wedding on the sandbar, we took a boat over to a private beach, where there were 5 Mariachi’s playing romantic music, Jill’s favourite type of music. There was also her favourite wine and her favourite cheese, with an Arbor made of her favourite flowers.
- Then Jill was surprised with a surprise private dinner at our resort, on the beach, while the Mariachi band played for us.
- The best improptu surprise was being serenaded by a local live musician that we had met the night before, Alan Charlebois, with an unrecorded song that he performed the night before at a restaurant we went to. Dwight secretly contacted him, found out where he was playing the night of the wedding, and arranged for us to go to that restaurant, he sang the song to us, while we had our first dance, in the front of the beach bar with about 75 strangers. We ended up drinking and partying with the entire bar and had our “reception” picture with everyone on stage!
THE WEDDING VENUE
Ambergris Caye, Belize. Jill’s most favorite place. On a sandbar, because Jill loves the water. She might be a mermaid.
THE WEDDING PLANNING
We hired an amazing wedding planner! This wouldn’t have possible without Melody of Dulce Belize Weddings. The idea of a Sandbar wedding was from her website. She then helped Dwight execute the extra surprise ideas he had, like the Mariachi’s, getting an Arbor of Hydrangeas, etc.
ANY ADVICE FOR NEWLY-ENGAGED COUPLES?
Destination/Elopement is the way to go. The day is about you two, not everyone else. Not only is it less expensive, but it’s less stressful. It was an absolutely magnificent day. The best day of 2020, no doubt!!!
Thank you to Dwight and Jill for sharing their gorgeous elopement with us!
Photography: Haydee Lu Studio | Videography: Jameel Hernandez (The Bird Filming) | Wedding Planning: Dulce Belize Weddings | Decor: Dulce Belize Weddings | Wedding Dress: Claire Bridal | Shoes: Davids Bridal | Wedding Venue: On a Sandbar in Chetumal Bay, off the coast of Ambergris Caye | Flowers: Dulce Belize Weddings (handled all transportation, flowers, mariachi performers, stylists, seamstress on site) | Rings: James Allen | Hair Stylist & Makeup Artistry: Stephanie Manuel | Groom Attire: Mens Wearhouse, custom suit | Transportation: Johnny Boy Tours | Guest Accommodation: Ramons Village Resort |