Jamaica, named one of the top Caribbean Islands for destination weddings by the Knot, is one of our top picks for a romantic getaway in the Caribbean. From the rich culture, popular and gorgeous beaches, luxurious hotels and of course the delicious food, Jamaica is the ideal spot for your dream destination wedding, elopement and honeymoon.
If you’re thinking about eloping to Jamaica this year or in the near future, then keep on reading to find out more from Destination Wedding Planner Kimberley from Dragonfly Experiences. Check out what vendors you would need to get in touch with, what the best outfits are for the special occasion, budgeting advice and of course why Jamaica would be the best choice for you and your significant other.
1. What are the main steps that a couple needs to make to arrange an elopement in Jamaica?
- First, I would highly recommend that they find a wedding planner. Look at the reviews, have calls, research and ask as many questions as possible to find your match.
- Secondly, identify the specific location in Jamaica that you’re thinking about getting married in. Jamaica is a beautiful, diverse country filled with lots of options to get married. From sandy toes to stilettos we have a variety of locations that couples can get married in. There are hotel ballrooms, beachside huts, historic castles, great houses, riverbeds and mountain tops so there are a lot of beautiful options.
- Once a location is decided on, the couple should look at the “Visit Jamaica” website for all the recent updates on covid-19 testing, rules & regulations for traveling in and out of Jamaica. A seasoned, connected wedding planner can also provide this information to you but the Government protocols will be strictly adhered to, no matter where you decide on.
2. What advice would you give based on budgeting for an elopement in Jamaica?
- This is a very subjective question as it all depends on what the couple has in mind for their day. But definitely put photography at the top of the list as those are the documented memories you’ll be left with after your trip.
- Think about the memories you want to have after your experience and prioritize what’s most important and allocate the majority of your budget to those items.
3. What are some of the best spots to elope in Jamaica?
- If you’re into the mountain scenery, definitely think about the Blue Mountains. There are a variety of coffee farms, great houses and historic homes in that area that can host an elopement.
- If beaches are your thing, we have so many spanning from white sand beaches along the north coast in areas like Prospect St. Mary, Ocho Rios, Runaway Bay, Discovery Bay and Montego Bay to the black sand beaches along the south coast in areas like Treasure Beach which is also the home of “Lover’s Leap”, a historic look out point in St. Elizabeth.
- If you’re looking for a garden vibe, there are the beautiful grounds of Hope Gardens in Kingston as well as cliff side views at Konoko Falls in St. Ann.
4. What vendors would a couple need to hire for their elopement?
- Wedding Planner
- Marriage Officer/Officiant
- Optional: Caterer
5. What are some reasons you would give for eloping to Jamaica?
- You get the best of both worlds by eloping to a beautiful country that offers vacation options before, during and after your elopement.
- There’s lots of options of places to visit even during this unprecedented time and the weather is pretty perfect all year round.
- It’s relatively inexpensive compared to other major destination locations & we offer many airline options through most major airport hubs.
6. Why should they choose Jamaica as compared to other countries worldwide?
You get more than just sun, sand and sea in Jamaica. We have a plethora of culturally diverse offerings from our music, our historical sites to our cuisine with lots of variety for anyone looking for a dynamic vacation spot for a relatively affordable price. While we are a relatively small island compared to other famous destinations, we are big on hospitality & culture and are always ready for a good time!
7. Please tell us more about your services for couples interested in eloping to Jamaica.
Dragonfly Experiences can provide full service planning not just for your elopement but for any occasion you would like to celebrate. We have over 17 years in the event industry business both in Jamaica and Internationally and can provide you with everything you need to know about traveling to Jamaica, designing your special day, curating your menu, transporting you to and from your elopement destination, guiding you through your itinerary for your trip and pretty much anything else you can dream of for your day.
Think of us as your personal concierge service and memory maker.
8. What advice would you give to couples who are a bit uneasy about eloping to another country during this uncertain time?
Weigh all the pros and cons about traveling but don’t let the “cons” deter you from celebrating wherever you can.
This is an unprecedented time for all of us, so be patient with yourselves and also with the people you choose to work with. There are so many unknowns, but one thing is certain, love always prevails. Don’t get too caught up in the “what ifs” but focus on the love you have, the memories you want to create, and the dreams that can be fulfilled. If it’s one thing we have all taken away from this time, is that life is very fragile and short, so enjoy every moment you can and document every step of your journey. Don’t delay your love!